Monday 16 September 2013

The curious case of L'oreal and Liya Kebede's missing Lipstick.

Are "we" worth it?



I'm sure you've seen the ad here in the uk, but let me just give you a refresher.

The L'Oreal Paris Color Riche Collection Privée

The L'Oreal Paris Color Riche Collection Privée

L'oreal TV AD- Click me baby

This is the ad currently airing in the UK. There are different versions on youtube as i understand different lipsticks are being released in different territories. There has been fanfare that L'oreal have designed a nude  lipstick for all skintones.  Their L'Oreal Color Riche Collection Privée range. I was excited to read about this colour range online and i thought the next time I'm at the L'oreal counter I'll swatch Liya's shade and buy! ( Barely Moka nb7 by the way) But something strange happened. In shop after shop i could not find Liya's shade, i at first blamed it at these concession stands being small ( every other shade Cheryl Cole, Eva Longoria, Doutzen Kroes, Freida Pinto and Julianne Moore was there) but i finally saw Liya's shade in a Superdrug. Alas the tester compartment and section was empty. Totally empty. Hmm maybe it's all sold out i thought. I asked the sales assistant. She actually went into the back and began looking for the shade. It wasn't there, ( she had wheeled the box the lipsticks in to me) and she confessed she HAD NEVER seen the lipstick there at all. Ever.

I called Boots customer service. The lady there couldn't even see the lipstick on the system. Then she asked one of the online staff. It was online only. OH. So no if i wanted to get the lipstick i would have to buy blind. No boots store will be stocking it, in stores.  I emailed L'oreal asking if it were available anywhere in store. As of today still no reply. ( I wrote to them on the 12/9/13)

So Why would L'oreal go to the trouble of creating a lipstick, advertising it and then making it unavailable in stores? What would be the point?

More troubling is that they decided that every other skintone could be stocked in store but not Liya's.  I visited 7 stores and did not find Liya's shade. If it is available in stores ( most probably Superdrug or independent Chemists, as boots aren't) then it must be one or two in London. Even in a heavily "ethnic minority" area, it wasn't stocked. Lets not even get on to the fact that Fan Bing Bing's lipstick isn't stocked over here when there is a sizable East Asian community in the UK

It just baffles my mind. Why advertise the fact that the shade is available but make it online only? Making the inevitable sales figures  low. Most people are not willing to A- Buy blind or B- traipse all over London in pursuit of one lipstick they may or not buy. Then when the next time L'Oreal think about stocking darker shades or ranges, their data says it doesn't sell. Its a vicious circle.

L'sigh. People wonder why i like to purchase from brands that actually cater to me ........


4 comments:

  1. Omg thank you so much for this post. I checked my local stores looking for this shade and could not find it anywhere. You popped up on my google search and solved the mystery. How incredibly frustrating and ridiculous. Thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem Christina, I think its ridiculous and the fact that L'oreal refuse to give me an answer is doubly ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I was the only one, I asked L'Oreal about this via email and on FB. I was first told it would be available mid October - It was not. When I asked on FB last week I was told it would be available this week! so far it is not. I live in London and have being trying to purchase it since September! On a side point it has never been available online. Both Boots and Superdrug were unable to locate this product. This has been just plain ridiculous, being given the run around has not helped matters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ow wow Selena, the plot thickens! SMH why the fanfare if they were never going to release it? L'oreal need to stop!

    ReplyDelete