Friday 10 February 2012

shikakai powder. Heaven sent for dry/prone to build up scalps.

I admit i use sulfate shampoos, i have to. In the natural world its a taboo, but they are the only thing that will get my scalp clean. My scalp is so prone to build up its awful. I've tried everything frequent washings to infrequent washing and its the same result. So until it sorts itself out  I'm stuck. ( my scalp goes on swings and roundabouts every couple of years)

 The problem is i often have to shampoo several times, leaving my hair horrendously dry and making styling my hair that much harder.
 Well I've found something that doesn't eradicate my need for  sulfate shampoo, but does lessen it.  Its Shikakai powder. I am aware that i am a billion light years behind the Ayurveda bandwagon but i never thought it would work for me. Oh and i couldn't be bothered.
What the powder does is, it brings to the surface any buildup or debris and then only one round of shampoo is needed. It also makes your hair appear darker and with more sheen.
There are two main brands I've seen readily available in asda and Afro hair shops, its Hesh and Ayuuri. I prefer the Ayuuri because it is more finely milled.


 Now HEED MY WARNING. Follow the instructions on the packets EXPLICITLY. DO NOT, i repeat DO NOT leave the powder on your scalp for the allotted time. Why? Because if it dries you can not get the damn granules out of your hair!!! It'll feel like coffee is in there. Believe me i learnt this the hard way.
Both retail for around £1.99 or cheaper  and depending on how big your head  is and how thick your hair is can last i say 4-6 washes. Don't make too much either i always make that mistake.




No comments:

Post a Comment