Monday 27 February 2012

What i'm using at the moment: dr darren mckeown's AHA Active Radiance Cleanser




This is just an introductory review of Dr Darren McKeown's AHA active radiance cleanser, since i have only been using it  for one week and  i want to be able to give an honest longterm ( 6 weeks minimum) review.
I walked into superdrug and was surprised to see a product containing AHA's in a high street store( i never see them) and to be honest i was eying it up for a good two weeks. It was bizarre though  that all the other products in the line were on offer but not this one. I decided to go online ta-da! and found a "better than half- price" offer online. Its not a cheap product- i think it retails for £12.99  and so i was over the moon.
I have developed acne recently (urgh) and have really tried many things to combat it. I'm not hoping for perfect skin, i just don't want to see a billion spots when i wake up in the morning. I had read about AHA's and acne for a while and in skincare in genral  and was willing to take the chance.

When it comes to any sort of skin regimen i proceed with caution. I have sensitive skin that has recently transformed from dry to oily( i have no idea  why either) blemish prone and being black much more susceptible to scarring. So if something is bad for my skin there is not that much help for it out there once damage has been done.
So here comes the nitty grityy.

I use it only at night, followed by a heavy moisturising cream( when i wake up i use water only- followed by sunscreen)With any AHA product USE SUNSCREEN.
and i follow directions EXPLICITLY- two to three pumps on face for 2-3 minutes. Oh how it stung! The first day it stung, ow! I was a bit frightened but i read that all AHA products do. After the third day my skin was fine and  i dropped down from 3 minutes to 2 just to be safe.

Whilst washing it my face felt so smooth. It was weird, like washing a freshly waxed floor or something! Very smooth i felt like a mannequin

 It felt squeaky clean but not like your face is stripped at all.


The claims of the product are
"AHAs are the secret ingredient to luminous skin. Clinically proven to promote cell turnover, they help restore a glowing, radiant complexion and softer skin. We have added active apple AHA - a complex of glycolic, malic and lactic acids - to natural cleansers and created this daily wash to sweep away dull, old skin cells, remove excess oil - even stubborn make-up – and reveal a glowing complexion. Shea butter and panthenol help lock in moisture and plump skin. Sulphate free, to reduce the chances of irritation "


I'm not using it for luminosity factor or smoothness but to see if it will help my skin, and to be honest i do feel like it has. I know its early early days, but i think my skin looks better (placebo effect?) i've only had a few new spots ( and its that time of the month tmi! when my skin goes haywire) and i do feel like my skin does look better and more radiant.

Anyway it is sulphate free and i will be back tomorrow with a full ingredient list ( left it somewhere) and check back in 6 weeks for a full report.

BYE




6 comments:

  1. i saw this in superdruf today and was interested in it becouse of the aha's...great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to post my updated review on it, its a fantastic product and has really transformed my skin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i wanna buy this too but imma bit apprehensive.. i was also wondering if it helped with dark spots and hyperpigmentation,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loretaaa, i would use it as a first step. It did help fade some of my dark marks, but not massively. On its own don't expect any miracles but as part of a skin regimen/regime it would be effective IMO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh okay thanks:) did it help clear up your acne though?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It really cleared up my skin. It improved it so much, i can only say that it worked well for me and everyone's skin is different but i helped tremendously.

    ReplyDelete